Safe Way to Report Elder Abuse

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) responds to reports from individuals, concerned citizens, social workers and health providers, and law enforcement representatives about developmentally disabled adults, physically and mentally disabled adults, and the elderly who may be physically or financially abused, neglected or exploited. Upon receipt of a referral, APS sends a social worker to make a home visit or contact the elder or dependent adult.

California State Long-Term Care Ombudsman

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program investigates elder abuse complaints in long-term care facilities and in residential care facilities for the elderly. The primary responsibility of the program is to investigate and endeavor to resolve complaints made by, or on behalf of, individual residents in these facilities, including nursing homes, residential care facilities for the elderly, and assisting living facilities. The goal of the program is to advocate for the rights of all residents in long term care facilities. The State CRISIS line number is: 1-800-231-4024